TURKEY WILD RICE SOUP...BETTER FOR YOU
- Active Time : 50 minutes
- Total Time : 50 minutes
- Serves : 6 servings
- 3/4 cup cultivated wild rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 8 ounce package baby bella mushrooms (8 ounce) quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry sherry optional
- 3 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups torn up leftover turkey meat (12 ounces)
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated skim milk (12 ounce)
Prepare wild rice according to package directions to desired doneness; drain.
Meanwhile, in large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic; salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until softened (about 8-10 minutes).
Add in mushrooms and rosemary; sauté until mushrooms are softened. Stir in flour, coating vegetables; cook 1 minute. Add in sherry or ¼ cup chicken broth; allow to reduce by half.
Stir in chicken broth, turkey and wild rice. Bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk; continue cooking until heated through.