FRENCH ONION SOUP II
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure olive oil
- 3 medium red onions thinly sliced (about 4-5 cups)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves divided
- 1/4 cup dry sherry optional
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup restaurant style seasoned croutons
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup fancy shredded Italian style Parmesan cheese
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and 1 teaspoon thyme; salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook onions, stirring frequently, until golden brown (about 15 minutes).
Add sherry or ¼ cup chicken broth, stirring and scraping pan until evaporated. Add broths and remaining thyme; increase heat to medium-high and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle soup into 4 ovenproof soup crocks or bowls; top each bowl with croutons and cheeses. Place bowls on baking sheet and broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.