AUTHENTIC PAD THAI
- 18 clean paper towels
- 1 12.3 ounce package extra firm tofu (12.3 ounce)
- 8 ounces Asian style rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts very thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 32 ounce cups reduced sodium chicken broth (32 ounce)
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup tamarind concentrate or fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 5 tablespoons pure peanut oil divided
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- - lime wedges
Place 3 paper towels, folded in half, in a shallow dish. Place tofu on paper towels. Cover with 3 more paper towels, folded in half. Firmly press down on tofu to remove excess liquid. Remove paper towels and repeat process, placing a heavy bowl or other weight on top of towels, pressing down on tofu. Let stand 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining 6 paper towels for 15 minutes.
Place noodles in a large bowl; cover with very hot tap water. Soak noodles according to package directions for stir-frying, about 25-30 minutes (do not cook). Drain.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine corn starch, sesame oil and salt. Add chicken; toss to coat. Set aside. In medium bowl, combine chicken broth, fish sauce, tamarind, brown sugar and chile garlic sauce; mix until well combined. Set aside.
Remove tofu from paper towels; slice and set aside. Have remaining ingredients prepped, measured and ready to go.
In wok or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil over high heat. When shimmering, add chicken; stir-fry until cooked through. Remove from wok to a bowl; set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok. Add sliced tofu and cook until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove to bowl with chicken. Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok; add eggs and green onions; stir-fry until eggs are just set, breaking up. Remove to bowl with chicken and tofu. Wipe out any cooked on egg from wok.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to wok; when hot add fish sauce mixture and drained noodles. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the noodles have completely absorbed the liquid and are sizzling and glossy (about 5-6 minutes).
Add chicken, tofu, scrambled eggs, bean sprouts and cilantro; toss to combine. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with peanuts and lime wedges.