MEDITERRANEAN ORZO SALAD
- Serves : 8
- 4 tablespoons Napa Valley organic olive oil divided
- 1 9 ounce package Gefen whole wheat orzo
- 1 32 ounce box Pacific Natural Foods organic low sodium free range chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup quartered red cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup quartered yellow cherry tomatoes
- 18 Gaea organic kalamata olives rinsed drained and chopped
- hothouse cucumber peeled seeded and diced small
- 1 14 ounce can Carmelina cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- cup crumbled Valbreso feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons packed slivered basil
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add orzo and cook, stirring frequently, to lightly toast about five minutes do not brown orzo. Pour in four cups of broth and raise heat to a boil. Cook for eight minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and refrigerate pasta while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Combine remaining olive oil with lemon juice, shallots, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Transfer cooled pasta to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Add tomatoes, olives, cucumber, beans, cheese, basil and parsley. Toss dressing with pasta salad. Serve cold or at room temperature.