CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
- 3/4 cup cultivated wild rice
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 8 ounce package button mushrooms (8 ounce) quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry sherry optional
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups half & half
- - unsalted top saltine crackers
Prepare wild rice according to package directions to desired doneness; drain.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic; salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until softened (about 5-7 minutes).
Add in mushrooms and thyme; sauté until mushrooms are softened. Stir in flour, coating vegetables; cook 1 minute. Add in sherry or ¼ cup chicken broth; allow to reduce by half.
Stir in chicken broth, chicken, half & half and cooked wild rice. Bring to a boil; simmer 5 minutes. Serve with crackers.