FRENCH ONION SOUP
with Toasted Baguette
- Active Time : 30 minutes
- Total Time : 1 hour
- Serves : 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons 100% pure olive oil divided
- 6 medium yellow onions thinly sliced (7-8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme divided
- 1/2 cup dry sherry optional
- 1 32 ounce container beef broth (32 ounce)
- 1 32 ounce container chicken broth (32 ounce)
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices French baguette bread
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup fancy shredded Italian style Parmesan cheese
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions and 1½ teaspoons thyme; salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook onions, stirring frequently, until golden brown (about 20-25 minutes).
Add sherry or ½ cup broth, stirring and scraping pan until sherry is evaporated. Add broths; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining thyme the last 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, lightly brush bread with remaining oil. Place on baking sheet; broil until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes).
Ladle soup into 8 ovenproof soup crocks or bowls; place on a baking sheet. Top each crock with bread and cheeses. Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.