CREOLE BEANS & SHRIMP
- 2 tablespoons pure vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 16 ounce package dried navy beans (16 ounce) soaked, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 tablespoons Creole seasoning divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp peeled and deveined
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic; sauté until onions are softened (about 3-5 minutes).
Add soaked beans, chicken broth, 1-2 tablespoons Creole seasoning, thyme and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until beans are tender and creamy (about 2 hours).
Season shrimp with remaining 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning; add to beans and continue cooking until shrimp is opaque and cooked through (about 10 minutes).