BRATS N KRAUT
- Active Time : 20 minutes
- Total Time : about 1 hour
- Serves : 10-12 servings
- 2 tablespoons Essential Everyday Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 pounds fresh bratwurst links
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 large apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 32 ounce package refrigerated Essential Everyday Sauerkraut drained
- 3 12 ounce cans dark beer or 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Essential Everyday Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- - brat buns
In a stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; add brats and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pan; set aside.
Add onions, apple and garlic to pan; salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until onions are caramelized (about 5-7 minutes). Stir in sauerkraut, beer or chicken broth, sugar and mustard; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer. Add brats to pan and cover; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove brats from pan; strain sauerkraut. Serve brats on buns with kraut.