FOOTBALL PIZZA POCKETS
- Active Time : 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Total Time : 1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Serves : 6
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Hunt's® Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 can (6 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pkg (15 oz each) refrigerated pie crust, softened as directed on package
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound Italian pork sausage
- 12 slices pepperoni
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 2% tablespoon reduced fat (2%) milk
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
Heat oil in medium saucepan over high heat; add in the onions and garlic and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add in the tomatoes and herbs and bring to a simmer.
Whisk in the tomato paste until the sauce becomes thick, and season with salt and pepper. Cool completely in the refrigerator.
Once the dough is rolled out and the football shapes have been created place a small amount of the tomato sauce in the center of a football shaped piece of dough. Add on a little shredded cheese and then some cooked Italian sausage or pepperoni slices. Combine egg and milk; brush a small amount of the egg around the outside edge of the dough. Place another piece of dough right on top pressing down around the edges. Use a fork to press around the outsides to seal them.
Next, cut 4 thin strips per pizza pocket and form football like strings over the top of the pizza pocket. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.