BLACK BEAN SOUP
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 32 ounce container chicken broth (32 ounce)
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans (15 ounce) rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce (15 ounce)
- - sour cream optional
- - shredded Monterey Jack cheese optional
In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic; sauté until carrots are softened (about 5-7 minutes).
Add in cumin and chili powder; stir until well mixed. Add remaining ingredients; salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or until carrots are tender and soup is slightly thickened.
Serve with sour cream and cheese, if desired.