FRIED PECAN OKRA
- 1 16 ounce package frozen whole okra (16 ounce) thawed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose biscuit & baking mix
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - pure vegetable oil (for frying)
In medium bowl, combine okra and buttermilk; let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, combine baking mix, pecans, chile pepper, cayenne and salt. Process until pecans are finely ground; place in a shallow dish.
Pour enough oil into a Dutch oven or large saucepan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium-high heat until oil reaches 375°F on a deep fry thermometer.
Remove okra from buttermilk using a slotted spoon; coat in pecan mixture. In batches, carefully drop into hot oil.
Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes). Remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining okra.