CUB Reopens Store at E. Lake Street in Minneapolis
CUB Community Market fulfilled community’s need for fresh food and groceries while store was rebuilt
STILLWATER, Minn. (Feb. 10, 2021) – After being forced to close in late May 2020 due to significant damage following civil unrest in the area, CUB announced today that it has reopened its store located at 2850 26th Avenue S. in Minneapolis. The reopening of the Lake Street store also marks the closure of the CUB Community Market which played a vital role in keeping groceries available to the neighborhood since early July 2020.
“From the moment we had to close the Lake Street location, we knew we would not only rebuild, but rebuild with the intent on creating a store that was a better reflection of the neighborhood it serves,” said Mike Stigers, CUB CEO. “From the wider selection of fresh produce, meat, and seafood to the innovative areas that push the envelope of what to expect from your neighborhood grocer, our new Lake Street store is one the community can be proud to shop every day. The reopening of the Lake Street store is made possible through the support of the Jerry’s Foods team, the franchise owner of the store, and we thank them for their continued dedication to the local community.”
Inside the completely renovated store, originally opened in 1989, customers will find enlarged specialty areas as well as several new features which were developed from ideas and suggestions from the local community including:
• Expanded produce department featuring an increased assortment of organic items and a wider selection of fresh fruits and vegetables
• Expanded deli area that will include more convenient Quick & Easy Meals solutions such as sandwiches, salads, and sushi; a wider selection of hot meal offerings; a new soup and salad bar with more variety; and a broader assortment of fresh meats and specialty cheeses
• A new meat and seafood department
• A global foods market featuring a large selection of Mediterranean, Caribbean, East African, and Hispanic pantry items and beverages
• A freshly made tortillas station featuring tortillas, scratch made in-house daily
• A popcorn shop with fresh popcorn available in a variety of sizes and flavors such as butter, cheese, kettle, caramel, chocolate drizzled, and a cheese and caramel mix
• A custom cake decorating station
The store also incorporates several amenities to better meet the needs of today’s shopper including grocery pickup and delivery, an accessible pharmacy with pharmacy prescription delivery, and a dollar store department. The CUB Lake street store is open from 6 a.m.–10 p.m., seven days a week.
The recently decommissioned CUB Community Market was a 13,000 square foot temporary structure built on the parking lot of the Lake Street store. Inside, customers found key items from all parts of the store, including fresh produce, meat, dairy, and best-selling grocery items at the same everyday prices as a traditional CUB store. By operating the Community Market while the Lake Street store was under construction, CUB was able to keep approximately 40 CUB associates employed throughout the process.
“The local grocery store is the last the close and the first to open in times of emergency, and that’s exactly what we demonstrated to our customers with the CUB Community Market,” said Stigers. “I’m proud of the entire CUB team who rolled-up their sleeves and found solutions to help meet the needs of our neighbors, family, and friends while our Lake Street store was under construction.”
CUB, based in Stillwater, Minn., was established in 1968 as one of the nation’s first discount grocery stores. The organization, which is owned by parent company UNFI, operates 80 grocery stores in Minnesota and Illinois, each of which offers a wide selection of fresh products and great values throughout the store to meet consumer’s everyday grocery needs. As the hometown grocer for over 50 years, CUB has made it a priority to be a good corporate citizen by helping to create healthy and thriving communities that enhance the quality of life for its customers, employees and neighbors. For company news and information, follow us on Twitter® at @CUBFoods and Facebook® at www.facebook.com/CUB, or visit our website at www.CUB.com.
Media Contact:Mike Wilken
(952) 828-4558 Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org