One 8-ounce package of cream cheese softened to room temperature
One cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
2 pecan halves
2 candy eyes
1 pretzel rod cut down to 4-inch length
20 to 30 pretzel sticks
6 celery sticks
6 carrot sticks
1/2 bunch fresh thyme
1 candy corn
1 tablespoon of chocolate morsels
One 4- ounce can of chopped green chilies (drained)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, chopped chilies and shredded cheddar cheese.
2. By hand, mix the two cheeses and chilies well and form into a ball.
3. Place the chopped pecans onto a platter or baking sheet and roll the ball of cheese over the nuts, gently pressing as much of the pecans as possible around the entire cheese ball.
4. Carefully wrap the cheese ball with plastic film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Lay the pretzel rod on to a plate.
6. In a small bowl melt the chocolate (this can be achieved in a microwave oven with two or three 10-second burst’s).
7. Paint 1 side of the candy corn with a small amount of chocolate and place it on one end (point down) on one end of the pretzel rod.
8. Paint the back of the candy eyes and place them on the candy corn.
9. Paint the 2 pecan pieces and glue them to the pretzel on both sides of the point of the candy corn completing the face.
10. Place the completed head and neck back in the refrigerator for another 20 minutes to harden the chocolate.
11. Remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and unwrap.
12. Place the ball in the center of a medium-sized platter.
13. Facing the cheese ball, insert the celery and carrot sticks, and the sprigs of thyme into the back side of the cheese ball forming the tail.
14. Remove the head and neck and gently press the pointed end of the pretzle toward the front of the cheese ball. You may need to start with the point of a small pairing knife to avoid cracking.
15.Surround the cheese ball with your favorite crackers and serve.