1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking flour
1/2 teaspoon (tsp) salt
1/2 cup cold butter cut in 1/4 inch cubes
1 tablespoon (tbsp) vegetable shortening
6-7 tablespoons (tbsp) cold milk
One 12 ounce can of pumpkin pie filling
One 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
2. Using a hand or stand mixer on low speed, combine flour and salt, and then slowly add the butter and vegetable shortening.
3. Continue mixing until the mixture resembles a course meal.
4. While blending, slowly add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is moist.
5. Gently roll and press the dough into a ball.
6. Using wax paper, place dough onto one sheet, flatten with palm, place another sheet on top and using a rolling pin, roll out to 1/8 inch thick.
7. Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut the mini pie shells. Rerolling and flattening the scraps will yield 12 shells.
*make a second dough to cut out decorative toppings.
*** Gluten-free pie crust is less pliable than traditional crust. A straight-edged cookie cutter will give cleaner edges to your crust than a fluted cutter.
8. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and place dough circle in each space pressing down gently and molding to the sides.
1. In a mixing bowl combine all filling ingredients.
2. Using a whisk, stir until smooth.
1. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pastry lined muffin cups and fill to the top.
2. Top with a decorative leaf or other fall themed topping cut from the second dough.
3. Brush the exposed edges and topping crust with melted butter to help get a golden brown crust.
4. Place the muffin tin into the preheated oven to 400 degrees.
5. Bake for 10 minutes
6. Reduce heat to 350 Degrees F and continue cooking for 20 - 25 minutes until pies are golden brown. To check for doneness insert toothpick. If it comes out clean, pie is done.
7. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and allow the pies to cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the pies and place on a wire rack to cool for an additional hour to allow the filling to fully set.