1/2 12 ounce package (6oz) of frozen, diced butternut squash
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/5 ounces of goat cheese
2 cups of sliced onions
1-sprig fresh thyme picked and stem discarded (1/2 teaspoon of dried if fresh is not available)
Salt and pepper
One puff pastry sheet (thawed)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium-sized pan over high heat, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
3. Place the diced butternut squash into the boiling water and cook until tender (approx. 5 minutes).
4. Pour the water and squash into a strainer and let cool.
5. Brush the puff pastry with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
6. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and the onions.
7. Cook the onions until soft and brown.
8. Coat the puff pastry evenly with the onions.
9. In a medium bowl, combine the cooked butternut squash, thyme leaves and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
10. Toss until completely coated.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Pour the mixture over the onions.
13. Crumble the goat cheese and spread evenly over the top.
14. Place the puff pastry on to a baking sheet.
15. Place in the oven and bake according to puff pastry baking instructions.
16. Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board.
17. Cut in to 2”x2” squares and serve hot.